|The road leading to the main villa|
Ideally located between Florence and Siena, and along the via Francigena, this characterful resort was once a small rural village — a borgo — owned entirely by a wealthy landowner.
Today, the borgo’s old farm houses, its hayloft, the forestiera, and the old oil mill have been transformed into 73 warm and inviting rooms and apartments decorated in earthy tones accented by beamed ceilings, terra cotta flooring, antique furnishings, canopied beds, and ample sized bathrooms. Except for Classic rooms, all the rooms have a private outdoor patio or terrace, giving families plenty of extra room to spread out.
|The charming borgo and the forestiera|
Some of the kid-friendly amenities that perennially attract parents here include tennis courts, a soccer pitch, a bocce court, a beautiful, semi Olympic-sized pool with a connecting wading pool for kids, and 60,000 square meters of wide open spaces and forested parkland. (For a special treat, take a guided 4-wheel drive tour of the property’s lush woodlands).
The hotel’s elegant restaurant, La Limonaia, prepares dishes that are typical of the region, placing a heavy emphasis on what is fresh and local. While no kids’ menu is specifically offered, the chef can accommodate most special requests if given some advance notice.
|Borgo San Luigi apartments|
Borgo San Luigi is strategically located if you want to be close to Tuscany’s top attractions. Twice a week the hotel shuttles guests to and from Florence, a great convenience for families who don’t want to stay in the city. (Family Friendly Tip: See below for an exclusive special offer.) Just down the road is the medieval village of Monteriggioni. Siena is a 30 minute drive away, while San Gimignano and Volterra are reachable in about 45 minutes.
Borgo San Luigi does a wonderful job of balancing kid-friendliness with a relaxed, upscale atmosphere. Its strategic location, wide open green spaces, excellent cuisine and great amenities make it a truly delightful place to spend a Tuscan family holiday.
- Tastefully decorated and spacious rooms, plus additional apartments with kitchenettes that can be rented nightly or by the week.
- The relaxed ambiance of a rural country estate.
- The elegant poolside lounge offers a luxurious space for socializing or unwinding.
- Excellent dining on site with a menu which changes daily, according to what’s offered at the local markets.
- Great location for exploring Tuscany’s top sights: Florence, Siena, San Gimignano, and the surround Chianti countryside.
- All the rooms are air conditioned. All have an outside space or garden for running around.
Best suited to:
|The resort's large pool|
- Families with very young children will particularly appreciate the green space and kiddie pool.
- Families with adolescents and young teens will like the number of activities on the property, plus the potential for interaction with other children of the same age.
- Multi-generational families will appreciate the good dining, the cocktail lounge and plenty of space for kids to play.
Things to consider:
- The rooms in the newest section of the hotel have a large grassy lawn in front and furnished in the same style, but these rooms are less desirable because of their limited views. The best rooms are located in the older, traditional buildings of the old borgo.
- Pool is cordoned off by ropes but it’s not enclosed with a fence or gate. Small children will need to be supervised.
- There’s no specific children’s menu, but the chef can prepare something simple for children with advance notice.
Borgo San Luigi falls into the Mid-range to Upscale price category depending on the season (€€-€€€).
Special offer when you book through us!
When you book directly through Family Friendly Italy, you’ll receive Two FREE round trip shuttle passes to Florence (a 50 Euro value).
We can also help organize other family activities, including guided hikes, cooking classes, wine tastings and more.
For other family-friendly properties throughout Italy, contact us at (617) 410-6159 or visit www.familyfriendlyitaly.com.