|The main sitting room|
The villa itself dates back to the 16th century and was the family home of the current owners. The Vitta brothers have done a marvelous job at cultivating an atmosphere that’s elegant yet comfortable. Despite the beautiful surroundings, it never feels stuffy or overdone.
Guests are tended to by a friendly staff of professionals whose hospitality is warm and genuine. Many of them have been in service here for over a decade -- a nice indication they truly enjoy what they do. Their personal philosophy about family travel is evident in the many little special touches they offer. Almost anything can be arranged with a little advance notice, from babysitting to special meals or activities, guided hikes in the woods or family cooking classes.
The staff also gives consideration to other needs. For example, the chef can prepare children a food basket so they can enjoy a snack in between mealtimes. In the late afternoon, the hotel sets out tea service and an honor bar of liquors and local wines, while children can enjoy Nutella and bread -- a most authentic European snack.
The villa’s rooms are very spacious and charming, each uniquely decorated in romantic period furnishings, colorful Persian rugs, terra cotta floors, beautiful fabrics and upholstery, and large bathrooms with marble sinks. Some rooms feature delicately frescoed ceilings and naturally pigmented wall coloring typical of the Renaissance period. A few Country Classic rooms can be on the small side, but Superior rooms are roomy, and Junior Suites and Suites are more like small apartments.
|Country Superior Room|
As for meals, each morning guests will find a rich and varied breakfast including homemade cakes from family recipes, jams, local meats and cheeses from nearby farms. Dinner is generally served buffet-style where something is always available for children.
Dinner usually begins at 8pm. But if you request in advance, the chef can accommodate families with young kids by preparing a meal to eat earlier, since young children have a difficult time holding out until that hour. Just another of the many special consideration the hotel gives to families with kids.
In addition to rooms in the main villa, the hotel restored another 16th century villa located just a few hundred feet away. Set on a hill in the middle of an olive grove with beautiful views of the Chianti hills, it features two bedrooms, sitting room, its own swimming pool and gardens plus the added convenience of all the hotel's amenities, including the spa and meals. (Contact Family Friendly Italy for rental rates.)
We enthusiastically applaud Villa il Poggiale for striking such a perfect balance between beautiful and elegant surroundings, genuinely warm hospitality, and an environment where families and children are respected and truly made to feel at home.
|Breakfast served outside on the terrace|
- The spacious rooms that can accommodate 3 or more people.
- The pool with a view over the Chianti hills.
- The on-site dining as well as proximity to a nearby town with excellent dining options.
- Easy access by car to downtown Florence or the Florence airport, both about a 35 minute drive.
- The free spa where children are welcome too.
Best suited to:
|The pool overlooking Chianti |
vineyards and olive groves
Older kids especially will likely appreciate the experience of staying in a true Renaissance villa.
Things to consider:
- Payment and cancellation policies are non-standard: full payment is due 7 days prior to arrival. In the event of cancellation, 3 days’ notice is required to avoid a one-night penalty.
- The hotel is set back from a main country road, however some road traffic noise can reach rooms that face in that direction.
- Although near to a large town, a car is nevertheless required to move around. Public transportation is limited, and trains do not service the area.
- Closest hospital is 25 minutes away in Bagno a Ripoli; Meyer Children’s Hospital is in Florence, 40 minutes away.
- Wi-fi is free, although due to thick walls, it isn’t always accessible from some of the rooms. However it is accessible from all the common areas.
Villa il Poggiale falls into the Mid-range price category (€€). High season rates on B&B basis for a double standard room start at about €160 to 180 per night.
Special offer when you book through us:
Guests who book their stay through Family Friendly Italy will receive an upgrade to the next room category upon check in (subject to hotel availability).
To book this hotel or learn more about this offer, click here. To find other family-friendly properties, contact us at (617) 410-6159 or visit www.familyfriendlyitaly.com.